Thursday, October 13, 2005

Cause Change

/
The status quo may be comforting, but for there to be growth, there must be change. Since you seek growth, you must seek change. You must see yourself and your environment not only as it is, but also as it could and should be. You seek the changes necessary to reach the better you so that you can play your part in making a better world.
First, you change yourself. Can you change your day and spend more time with your family? Can you change your standard lunch routine and take a walk? Can you change your drive home and stop at a nursing home for twenty minutes and see someone who may have few visitors? Can you change your office habits and find the time to make five more phone calls? What are the possible consequences of not changing? Realize that many people don’t make plans because they don’t want to risk any change. Doing little with your life is much easier and safer than taking risks, but then you will be a small person. Instead, seek the changes which will allow you to be all that you can be.success.org

Wow, that is an order that is tough to follow sometimes. My life changed dramatically the moment I decided to go into business for myself. I am no longer bound by a clock and a hierarchy of people asking me and telling me to do things their way for the benefit of their company or place of business. However, I am still boud by other variables, perhaps more stringent than the ones “I thought I left” behind. I am bound by my customers, I am also bound not as much by a clock anymore but by the amount of productive output I generate. Sometimes I generate a lot of things that perhaps are not necessary, but a lot of times I feel that the things I generate are helpful not only to me but to others, regardless of the financial rewards that I thought might be involved in the process.
I like a challenge. I like change. Sometimes changing a routime or a behavior is really difficult.
Change is the only thing I have been guaranteed in life. We are changing the moment we are born into this world (even when in our mother’s woumb) we still are changing even after death…
One of the things I have learned is that I have to cause change in me first, in order to even attempt to change something or someone outside of myself…
I also need to find balance between action and inaction, but I suspect that Bill already has talked about it in a different Action Principle.

No comments: