Tuesday, August 15, 2006

BiPolar Daily(ish): Lamictal

BiPolar Daily(ish): Lamictal: "Lamictal
A lot of people have been arriving at this blog via the Lamictal keyword. So I thought it might be a good idea to re-assess my Lamictal (known as Lamictan in my home spot, South Africa) experience. I've been on it for 1 year and 9 months now, and the last time I think I spoke about Lamactil was when I'd crossed the one year mark. So here goes:

Easing Depression
The best thing about Lamictal is that it has definitely taken the sting out of the bad downs. I'm told that whereas other stabilisers are more effective at controlling the ups, Lamactil is better where the predominant pole is depression. In fact a danger with BiPolar (I'm told) is that Lamictal can sometimes fuel the highs. Truth be told, I hit about 2 weeks of severe mania about 6 months after starting the medication, with occasional small flights into psychosis. (Man, would I have loved to chronicle those in this blog but unfortunately it was pre BiPolar Daily). Having said that, it was one of the most controlled (and enjoyable :) mania's I've had - I didn't even tell the Pdoc about it."

No comments: